I threw together this quick Google Gadget, because there was no existing gadget to embed a PDF that was saved in my Google Drive onto a Google Sites.
I was working on a project for a client who needed an easy way to do this. I thought for sure I could just use the native Google Sites functionality of “Insert > Drive > Document”. But if you try to embed a PDF using this, you get an error that says “The URL you entered is not supported.”
So, after a little bit searching, I found this post about how to embed a PDF without the left side preview pane (while useful, its annoying for embedding).
A quick glance at the Google Gadgets documentation and I whipped up this gadget that is reliably working. Feel free to use, copy, and modify to your heart’s content.
Here is the link to the gadget:
Embed a PDF Document on Google Sites from your Google Drive
And here is the URL for copy/pasting:
Here are the instructions for how to use the gadget:
- Go to your page on Google Sties and click the edit button.
- Click on the Insert -> More Gadgets
- On the left side of the popover, click on “Add Gadget by URL”
- Paste the URL above into the text box
- Enter the Document ID (Update: OR THE FULL URL. See above.) of your PDF into the relevant text box and make of the standard Gadget formatting changes.
- When you save the page, you’ll see the PDF embedded on the page.